What Are the Exercise Options in the Water?
Water Exercise: A Pool of Options
- Deep Water Running: Stimulating
land running in water where the feet do not touch the bottom of the
pool. Flotation devices are used. Various running styles, drills, and
methods can be used.
- Flexibility Training: Large movements using each body parts' full range of motion, along with full body stretches.
- Lap Swimming:
If the individual is a proficient swimmer, swimming back and forth
using various swimming strokes is a possibility. However, we suggest
that lap swimmers also consider other forms of water exercise in
addition to lap swimming.
- Water Aerobics: Full
body rhythmic exercises conducted in shallow and/or deep water for 20
minutes or more, designed to provide cardiovascular benefits.
- Wall Exercise (Deep or Shallow): Using the pool wall for support to isolate various body parts.
- Water Fitness Products: Professional
products designed and manufactured specifically for water fitness
activities – for toning, strengthening and endurance work. Such
products add variety to the class, motivate students, and create
additional resistance and support.
- Water Running: Same as Deep Water Running (see above).
- Water Toning/Strength Training: Upper
and lower body moves designed to strengthen, firm, and sculpt the
muscles by using the resistance of the water and/or water exercise
- Water Therapy & Rehabilitation: Procedures in the water designed and implemented for specific clinical purposes.
- Water Walking: Moving forward, backward, and sideward, using regular, short, quick or long steps, in waist-deep to chest-deep water.
- Water Yoga & Relaxation: Gentle, easy-flowing moves using the water as a relaxation medium.